Being ranked first in Google search is not easy, but not impossible. One way is to install a WordPress SEO plugin in order to implement SEO properly.
But not infrequently, we bloggers feel confused in choosing an SEO plugin. Well, this time we will compare two SEO plugins in WordPress that often make you confused, namely, Yoast SEO and Rank Math.
Both are well-known as WordPress mainstay plugins in the SEO field, but which one is better? This article is a cure for your curiosity about Rank Math vs Yoast SEO, let’s see more.
Get acquainted with Yoast SEO and Rank Math
Before going into a more in-depth comparison, let’s first get to know these two plugins.
Yoast SEO at a Glance
If asked which one has a long track record , then the answer is Yoast SEO. This plugin was first created in October 2010 by Joost de Valk, an SEO consultant since 2006.
With the claim of #1 WordPress SEO Plugin, to date Yoast SEO has had almost 8 million active installations as well as the most users.
A Brief About Rank Math
If you visit the official website, anyone will think that Rank Math is already very professional and an old player in SEO plugins. But who would have thought, Rank Math was just founded in 2018.
Although relatively new, Rank Math is already well-known as one of the leading SEO plugin providers . It is supported by 600,000+ active Rank Math users.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO : Features
If you have two plugin options, the first thing to consider is the features. For example, which one has better features, is more complete and supports SEO the most?
Well, as SEO plugins, both of them are definitely competing to provide the most superior optimization features. However, of course there are features that are the similarities and advantages of each.
The similarities between these two SEO plugins in WordPress lie in the facilities for focus keywords, meta descriptions, SEO titles, content analysis, internal linking suggestions, Google and mobile previews, etc.
Then what’s the difference? Before deciding, let’s compare the features of the two.
Like most plugins, Yoast SEO plugin has free and premium versions. The free version is suitable for those of you who want to try first how Yoast SEO works.
The free version is limited in features:
- Access to free Yoast SEO courses;
- Add related keywords manually;
- Can only optimize for one keyword per article;
- Automatic Google indexing;
- Google previews;
- Readability analysis or readability analysis;
- Breadcrumbs ;
- URL settings;
- Setting nofollow and dofollow each link;
- Compatible with classic editors and block editors;
Actually the features above are enough to cover your core SEO needs. However, its performance is less than the maximum compared to premium features.
Here’s what you can get in premium features :
- Full access to all Yoast SEO courses;
- Optimization with related keywords with SEMrush-based data;
- Adding keyword synonyms;
- Automatic recognition of multiple languages to improve optimization;
- Monitor important pages automatically;
- Notification to update content over six months;
- Google desktop and mobile previews, as well as Facebook and Twitter previews;
- Internal linking suggestions;
- HowTo Schema;
- Internal linking blocks;
- Website verification on Yandex and Google;
- Content insight analysis, five words that appear most often in articles;
- Redirect manager, updating old links to new links and preventing visitors from stopping at 404 Not Found pages;
- Integration into Elementor plugin ;
- CSV export, view document overview regarding keyword focus and SEO score;
- 24/7 support;
The features above can be activated and deactivated according to the needs of your website. So you can limit which features are most useful and reduce website speed.
Beyond that, actually Yoast SEO still has Local SEO, Video SEO, News SEO, and WooCommerce SEO products. However, they are all separated into different and definitely paid plugins.
Also read: Complete Local SEO Guide for Your Online Business Success
Don’t be surprised when you know Rank Math’s features.
Despite its young age, this SEO plugin provides far more features than Yoast SEO. Of course, the features for the free and pro versions are different, yes.
In general, the Yoast SEO features that have been mentioned are also found in Rank Math.
However, for a more complete comparison, here are the features of the free version of Rank Math that Yoast SEO does not have :
- Import All In One Schema Rich Snippet;
- Import from Redirection Plugin ;
- Have an SEO analysis score;
- Alert notifications if any SEO optimization is missed;
- Notifications if there are SEO problems on the website and suggestions for improvements;
- Image SEO , auto rename and add Alt Text;
- Google Keyword Suggestion;
- Monitor 404 errors automatically;
- Role Manager, limiting access rights for website admins;
- Various Schemas, such as Book, Course, Event, Job Posting, Local Business, Music, Person, Book, Product, Recipe, Restaurant, Review, Service, Software/App, and Video;
- Website verification on Alexa, Pinterest, and Norton Safe Web.
As for the Pro version , Rank Math provides the following features:
- Integration with Google Analytics and Google Trends ;
- Keyword Rank Tracker, to monitor the SEO performance of each keyword;
- Schema Markup Generator. To make your content more organized and visible to Google resulting in snippets;
- Schema Builder. You can customize your own schema as needed without coding;
- The default schema for articles, products, recipes, events, videos, local businesses, FAQs, and HowTos.
- Google News SEO Sitemap and Google Video SEO Sitemap;
- WooCommerce SEO;
- Content SEO Overview, showing the SEO performance of each content on Google;
- Automatically monitor keyword ranking for each post up to 12 months;
- Custom Schema Builder, create your own Schema template by coding;
- Using multiple schemas in each post, page, product, etc.;
- Dataset Schema, add your Schema to be validated in Google Dataset Search;
- Carousel Schema, etc.
Also read: Easy Ways to Add Schema and Rich Snippets in WordPress
Another advantage, Rank Math has a size of 2.85 MB, much smaller than Yoast SEO which is 7.18 MB. This point also has a positive influence on the speed of your website.
Just like Yoast SEO, the features in the Rank Math SEO plugin are also in the form of modules, so you can activate or deactivate as needed .
When it comes to features, Rank Math seems to be the champion. Because it can provide more features than Yoast SEO.
However, maximum results come not only from features, but also from the strategy for using them.
Therefore, we will also discuss plugin configuration, keyword analysis, appearance, and price both in the next discussion.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO : Plugin Configuration
Basically, every plugin must have been set as user-friendly as possible. However, for the initial step of use, ease of configuration is very important. Especially for beginners in the world of SEO.
Immediately, here’s a comparison of Yoast SEO and Rank Math configurations.
Because it has penetrated millions of users, of course the Yoast SEO plugin settings tutorial is already everywhere. However, this time we will focus on the configuration section only.
All you have to do after installing this plugin in WordPress is to click the configuration wizard, on the General tab > Dashboard .
There, you have to go through 9 stages to configure the Yoast SEO plugin to your WordPress.
These stages include website identity, website type, organizational or personal identity, search engine visibility options, multiple user options, and title settings.
In addition, there are still Yoast options that you must set in the WordPress dashboard. There are four tabs, namely General, Search Appearance, Social, and Tools.
You need to note that you must prioritize the General and Search Appearance sections . Because that’s where most of the SEO settings are done.
On the General tab in Yoast SEO there are four tabs that you should pay attention to:
- Dashboard – Contains notifications and detection of SEO issues/problems on your website;
- Features – You can enable or disable Yoast SEO features;
- Integration – Can integrate with SEMrush and Ryte;
- Webmaster Tools – Verify your website on multiple search engines. Like Google, Bing, Yandex, and Baidu.
Next, in the Search Appearance section you will find advanced settings, such as:
- General – Setting title separator, input category of organization or personal website;
- Content Types – Setting the content types of posts, pages, and templates. Contains several SEO settings, such as SEO title variable, meta description, etc.;
- Media – Automatically generate URL options for each uploaded media;
- Taxonomies – Settings for SEO in the categories, tags, and formats;
- Archives – SEO settings for archive content, such as author, date, and special pages;
- Breadcrumbs – Option to display breadcrumbs on the website;
- RSS – Option to add content to RSS automatically.
For Yoast SEO configuration, the setting options are specific to the needs of search engine optimization , both for posts, pages, and websites.
However, for beginners it seems that you have to be more careful, because each setting option provides minimal instructions.
To be able to use Rank Math, of course you need to install the Rank Math plugin on your WordPress. Next, you need to go back to RankMath.com and create an account there.
After registering, you will get three configuration options . This time we will show the Easy option for beginners, then click Start Wizard.
The Rank Math configuration consists of four steps before it is ready to use, namely:
- Your Site – Setting the type of website, logo, and image for social media sharing;
- Analytics – Integration settings with Google Search Console , Google Analytics and Google AdSense ;
- Sitemaps – You can enable website sitemaps, including News Sitemaps and Video Sitemaps;
- Optimization – The stage of enabling/disabling some features automatically. Such as not indexing empty categories and archived tags, automatic nofollowing all external links, and opening all links in a new tab.
Also read: How to Create a Sitemap in WordPress
The Rank Math SEO plugin configuration is considered very user-friendly and quite covers the basic SEO settings.
In fact, this plugin also provides advanced or advanced settings as needed.
The advanced settings that you can set include three things, namely:
- 404 + Redirection – Automatic monitoring of the 404 not found error page and setting it to the correct URL.
- Schema Markup – Selects the Schema type for posts and pages, such as articles, job postings, events, etc.
- Role Manager – Setting access rights and Rank Math controls for several categories of website users. For example, administrator, editor, author, contributor, subscriber, customer, and shop manager. And here is a list of features that you can set according to the user.
After that, you can enable or disable each Rank Math module and configure it.
To see all modules, you can first select Advance Mode in the upper right corner of the screen.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO : Keyword Analysis
The essence of SEO plugins is to help users optimize websites for search engines.
One way is to analyze whether the page posted is able to compete on certain keywords? Automatic keyword analysis feature becomes very important.
Actually, the way of keyword analysis in Yoast SEO and Rank Math is not much different.
You can input your target keyword and the plugin will analyze the article along with the keywords. Then, you will also receive a list or a list of problems that must be resolved so that the page is more optimized.
Even though they have the same system, you should consider the following differences.
Technically, Yoast SEO automatically appears in each post editor, alongside the block toolbar. Its trademark is a block with the Yoast logo with two small circles.
Like the example above, the first circle in orange indicates readability analysis and the second circle is for SEO analysis.
From here we can easily find out the SEO power and readability for the post.
You can fill in one focus keyword per post . Later you can fill in the related keyphrase that matches the main keyword .
Let’s take a deeper look, in each keyword you can fill in keyword synonyms. This allows Google to see your posts according to the focus keyword.
In addition, in each keyword you will get an analysis. The results of the analysis are also very specific and complete.
Starting from SEO problems that must be fixed, points that can be improved, and things that are okay from your post.
In the premium version of Yoast SEO , you will get several other analytical features, such as:
- Internal Linking Suggestion – Suggestions of internal links that you can use, this also helps the structure of your website.
- Google Preview – The post’s appearance when it appears on the Google search engine, both on the desktop and mobile versions;
- Facebook Preview – Editing snippets for Facebook;
- Cornerstone Content – Options for pillar content;
- Insights – Shows the most common words in your posts and estimated reading.
In summary, keyword analysis in Yoast SEO plugin is not difficult at all .
You can optimize one post with several relevant keywords and their synonyms. So, one post is very likely to rank in several keywords at once.
And of course, Google can tag a post with specific keywords and their derived keywords.
Also read: 15 Most Powerful SEO Techniques to Increase Website Ranking and Traffic
The most obvious advantage of Rank Math with Yoast SEO is the amount of keyword analysis. In the free version only, Rank Math SEO plugin can analyze up to five focus keywords.
In each keyword analysis, Rank Math summarizes the SEO performance is the use of scores .
Scores from 0-100 are categorized into three levels, namely:
- Score 0-50 . The block will be red, a sign that the SEO power is still very weak;
- Score 50-80 . Marked with a yellow block, it means that there are still parts of SEO that need to be improved;
- Score 80-100 . The block is green, meaning that the SEO analysis is good and your page is ready to publish.
Rank Math has also been integrated with Google Trends. That way, all the focus keywords you want can be checked again for their performance on Google.
If you open per post, you will find four SEO score indicators, namely Basic SEO, Additional, Title Readability, and Content Readability.
Just like Yoast SEO, these indicators are complete with error notifications. So you can know what to fix.
Because you can analyze more than one keyword, you will get a different analysis for each keyword.
So, if you click on a specific keyword, the results of the analysis will change.
This benefits users because they can analyze in more detail into more keywords . So the possibility of one page generating performance on Google with various keywords.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO : Editing View
A good user interface will certainly make it easier for users to operate.
Although both have been designed in such a way as to be user friendly, comfort still depends on each other’s preferences.
Here we describe the difference between Yoast SEO and Rank Math editing ease, so you have an idea of how to use it.
In terms of editing appearance, you could say Yoast SEO plugin has a user-friendly user interface. Why? Because all editing options are in one sidebar in each post.
As we discussed in the previous section, the need for complete SEO optimization is in order. This makes it easy to set up without fear of missing options.
For Yoast SEO premium version, if we scroll down on the editor page, we will see several other tabs, such as:
- SEO – Contains settings for SEO title, slug , meta description, and others;
- Readability – Analysis of already good readability issues and points;
- Social – Preview Facebook shares;
- Video – Add SEO video content.
Also read: Want Abundant Number of Traffic? Use Meta Descriptions!
That way, Yoast SEO has us an optimization location that we must fill in. Namely the sidebar and toolbar at the bottom of the post.
In appearance, both have the impression of being concise, simple, and user-friendly .
Speaking of appearance, it seems that Rank Math and Yoast SEO are not so much different.
Since it’s also Guttenberg compatible , you can access the SEO plugin’s Rank Math toolbar directly to the right of each post’s screen next to the block editor.
The difference with Yoast SEO lies in the SEO score and the four options tab. There are four options that you can set, namely:
- General – Contains keyword analysis, edit snippets and SEO analytics;
- Advance – Robots Meta settings (Nofollow, noindex, etc.), Canonical URL and Redirect options;
- Schema – Schema setting, schema display in SERP, etc;
- Social – Preview snippets on social media like Facebook and Twitter.
In addition, another advantage of Rank Math is its concise analytical interface. If you click on the General > Analytics option , you will get a view like below.
Views like this will make it easier for you to monitor the performance of each post specifically on one page. Starting from traffic, real-time performance, to Google rankings for each keyword.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO : Price
If you want maximum results, of course we need a premium SEO plugin. But of course paid.
When it comes to price, of course we have our own calculations. Which is more profitable, commensurate with the features provided, and more worth it to buy?
This plugin with the most users is priced at USD 89 or around IDR 1,250,000 for one website per year.
However Yoast SEO provides a price depending on how many sites you use. You can get a discount if you subscribe to more websites.
In addition, you can also subscribe to other premium plugins such as Video SEO, Local SEO, News SEO, and WooCommerce SEO. Each is valued at USD 69 or around Rp. 968,000 per year.
For Rank Math, you will be given two choices, namely the Pro and Business packages. For personal needs, it is recommended to use the Pro package for USD 59 or around Rp. 828,000.
However, for a business scale, it is very reasonable to spend a larger budget, which is USD 199 or around IDR 2,780,000.
Both have a 30 day money back guarantee, if you feel this plugin is disappointing. You can also upgrade, downgrade, or cancel your subscription whenever you want.
When it comes to price, it seems that Rank Math SEO plugin is more profitable. That’s because you can have full features without having to add any premium plugins.
However, it all comes back to your own preferences. Don’t forget, weigh it with the list of features that we have outlined, yes.
Which is Your SEO Plugin of Choice?
At this point, chances are you already have an idea which one is right for your needs.
However, to make it easier for you to choose, here we summarize the discussion above in the following table.
|SEO Plugins||Yoast SEO||Rank Math|
|Feature||– Free version features are limited.
– Modular form (optional activation).
|– The features of the free version are almost the same as Yoast SEO.
– Modular form (optional activation).
– More module features than Yoast SEO.
|Plugin Configuration||– More specific configuration to SEO options.
– The configuration wizard is still general, there are additional settings on the Yoast tab.
– Settings are still minimal instructions.
|– More and detailed configuration.
– The configuration wizard is done gradually and thoroughly.
|Keyword Analysis||– The free version can only analyze one keyword.
– The Pro version analyzes up to five keywords.
– The Pro version can analyze related keyphrases and synonyms.
– SEO analysis is characterized by coloring.
|– The free version can analyze up to five keywords.
– The Pro version can input more multiple keywords.
– Analysis using SEO scores and coloring.
|Editing View||– Located in the sidebar of the guttenberg editor and at the bottom of the post.
– Both are user-friendly.
|– Located in the sidebar of the guttenberg editor.
– Both are user-friendly.
|Price||– Limited free version.
– Premium version costs based on number of websites.
– Premium version Rp1,250,000/year for one website.
– Additional exclusive plugin costs IDR 968,000/plugin.
|– Limited free version.
– Pro Package IDR 828,000/year.
– Business Package Rp2,780,000/year.
Of all the things offered by these two plugins, basically they both will help you optimize your website SEO in the eyes of Google. All back to their respective choices.
To summarize, if you want a super complete feature that includes a lot of schema, you can choose Rank Math.
However, if you prefer the experience of millions of satisfied people with SEO optimization, then you should choose Yoast SEO.
What’s more, if you use Niagahoster’s WordPress Hosting service, you can immediately try out Yoast SEO features.
Because this one WordPress SEO plugin is automatically installed on your WordPress dashboard. No need to worry about configuration, settings, etc.
So, which SEO plugin is the most profitable for you?